Thursday, March 12, 2009

So Fly!

SOLD!!! :) 3/26/09
I love making polymer clay pendants and a recurring theme in my designs you might see are whimsical, abstract patterns and motifs, which I love.

This is one of a few pendants that I've made with silver polymer clay and stamped with a bird and flower design. I love the tiny detailed flowers present and everything that a bird symbolizes: freedom, flying, flight. In fact, it reminds me of Mariah Carey's song Fly Like A Bird. Yeah, I know it's kind of corny to make the association, but true.

It's been slightly distressed with black paint and lightly glazed for a glossy finish. This pendant is $8 usd and will come with a black silk cord.

Making these by hand is not easy! Apparently the planets have to align just right for the thickness to be even, no bubbles to be present in the clay, no stray marks to accidently get into the final design, and for it not to stick to whatever your work surface is and thereby distorting the shape and possibly tearing when you try to pick it up. For each flat, round pendant that I have created by hand, I have probably worked and reworked the unbaked clay anywhere from 10 to 30 times in an attempt to fashion the pendant only have one of the above happen and have to start again...and again...and again...and again. Worth it? Sure. Tiresome. You bet.

I have, however, just received a pasta machine from my mother and look forward to seeing if it will make the process easier. She believes I can fly!

Nevertheless, I will work the clay until I am pleased with the result and this one turned out pretty awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment